Thursday, December 09, 2004

All About Love....

" ...love has to be so,
involving and general,
particular and terrifying,
honoured and yet in mourning,
flowering like the stars,
and measureless as a kiss." - Pablo Neruda

Celia: "Oh Charles?a woman needs certain things. She needs to be loved, wanted, cherished, sought after, wooed, flattered, cosseted, pampered. She needs sympathy, affection, devotion, understanding, tenderness, infatuation, adulation, idolatry?that isn't much to ask, is it Charles?" ?[Barry Took and Marty Feldman, Round the Horne, BBC Radio, 1966]

Thus love can make us disregard most defects and deficiencies?even when, as Shakespeare said, we may still be aware that we?re seeing them:

WHEN my love swears that she is made of truth,
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutor'd youth,
Unskilful in the world's false forgeries.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Although I know my years be past the best,
I smiling credit her false-speaking tongue,
Outfacing faults in love with love's ill rest.
But wherefore says my love that she is young?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
O, love's best habit is a soothing tongue,
And age, in love, loves not to have years told.
Therefore I'll lie with love, and love with me,
Since that our faults in love thus smother'd be.


We similarly deceive ourselves not only in our personal lives but also in realms of abstract ideas. Listen to Richard Feynman?s words:

"That was the beginning and the idea seemed so obvious to me that I fell deeply in love with it. And, like falling in love with a woman, it is only possible if you don't know too much about her, so you cannot see her faults. The faults will become apparent later, but after the love is strong enough to hold you to her. So, I was held to this theory, in spite of all the difficulties, by my youthful enthusiasm."? 1966 Nobel Prize lecture.


"Love thyself"
-thats me


No comments: